Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Antique German Dollhouse Dishes and Tables

At a toy show last weekend, I found a wonderful, very tiny set of antique porcelain German dollhouse dishes tucked away in an old candy box, buried in a pile of junque under a dealer's table. Price: just $10.00!

(I cannot even count the number of times I've found fantastic things hidden in delapidated, unrelated boxes...it's always worth taking a look!)


The set, circa the early 1900s, includes a tureen, vegetable dish, gravy boat, cream pitcher, plates, and a serving tray. For a sense of scale, the itty bitty tureen is just 1 1/2 inches long.

At a different dealer's table a few minutes later, I found these German dollhouse tables, circa the 1920s, just 5 inches long and priced at only $5.00 each. They turned out to be the perfect size for the dishes, and my favorite small doll:


4 comments:

  1. This makes me want to go to a toy show. Maybe sometime I will go to one, and I'll just limit how much money I bring with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I do, and I purposely leave my ATM card at home so I won't be tempted to go get more money. (Also, sometimes I manage to get my Significant Other to come along, and I practice my Pleading Puppy Dog Eyes before we go. That's usually good for a couple of items, at least.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so sweet!

    I'm just back from NZ - a very weirdly cool and wet summer in the south there - I've been hanging out for some heat but have learnt the meaning of 'be careful what you wish for' because of course it's hot here in Sydney and I'm looking like a seriously wilted flower.

    Since your mum wasn't around to help me restore the old cabinet I had to resort to paint ;) Will get around to posting it in the next couple of days when I get my brain back (I think it got lost in transit...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Norma, welcome back! Can't wait to see your cabinet: mom said she kept watching the mail for her plane ticket, but it never came... ;)

    ReplyDelete