Thursday, January 27, 2011

itty bitty robots

When I was a kid back in the 1970s, one of my favorite toys was actually one of my smallest and cheapest: a set of tiny, 1 inch tall plastic robots that came from a gumball machine, or possibly from the "cheap toy aisle" at the grocery store, I can't really remember. They were just the right size to carry around, and they went everywhere with me. My two little brothers loved the robots too, and even though we all played with them and toted them about, we still have them today.

Shown twice as large as actual size!

I've always been on the lookout for more of these wonderful little robot guys, but had never seen any until we discovered some at a recent toy show. Oddly, these are red, although they're clearly from the same molds, and they have exactly the same stamping on the bottom ("H.K." for Hong Kong.) The dealer and I were both really excited to find each other, as we'd both been looking for more information on these guys for the last 20 years, but were both disappointed to discover neither of us knew anything about them. 

Does anyone out there recognize these robots???




5 comments:

  1. They are the tiny little robots from the Buck Rogers playset. http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?ListID=51&ItemNo=66650 I got it for Christmas one year when I was about 6 years old.

    - Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh: there they are, right on the box cover! Thanks! I don't remember the rest of this toy at all, but I loved the Buck Rogers tv show when I was a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely remember having them, but mine were kind of an aqua-blue, and they were rubber with suction cups for bases. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these too as kid and I would love to find them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do an update to this post: I've since found a couple of other toy sets that included them, and I've also gotten some of the rubber suction cup variety another commenter mentioned. Hope you find some soon!

      Delete